Monday, August 2, 2010

Great timing, Sis.....

We were hanging out at my house on Saturday -- my mom, sister, Carter, me and the girls -- great way to pass a (very welcomed) rainy day. Since Carter is an active 4-year old, he's always being told to "be careful around Aunt A's belly....you don't want to hit Isabella" to which he usually says something about "Aunt A --- if I hit your belly, I might pop Isabella out" - haha. Gotta love kids, right?!!

So Saturday, my sister goes to a baby shower, mom runs to work for a short time and Carter wanted to stay with me. The girls were napping so it was just me and Carter. Not two seconds after the door closed behind my mom and sister, Carter starts in on the questions. Now. There are plenty of things about parenthood I'm not prepared for........and Carter made me realize just how unprepared for some aspects I was! Our conversation went something like this:

C: "Aunt A.....why is Isabella in your belly?"
Me: "Huh?" (I know, I know...intelligent response, but I was also trying to make sure he said why and not HOW)
C: "WHY is Isabella in your belly?"
Me: "Well.....that's where she is growing until she gets big enough that we can finally meet her."
C: "How is she going to come out?"
Me: (starting to sweat bullets...wondering if I should stop my sister from leaving my driveway) "I'm going to go to the hospital and they're going to cut a small hole in my belly and then they'll be able to get her out" (quite proud of myself that I'm actually able to tell him the truth and keep it kid friendly. And at this point extremely glad I'm having a c-section - hahaha!)
C: "They're going to cut a hole in your belly?"
Me: "Yep."
C: "Is it gonna hurt?"
Me: "It won't when they do it. It will hurt later -- you know when you have a boo-boo how it hurts for a little bit until it gets all better?"
C: "Yeah. But how will it not hurt when they cut a hole in your belly?"
Me: "Because they're going to give me some medicine to make sure I don't feel anything."
C:" How are they going to give you medicine?"
Me: "Well....remember how you just had some shots? They're going to give me a shot that will have the medicine in it."
C: "They are?"
Me: "Yep."
C: "And then they'll get Isabella out after they cut a hole in your belly?"
Me: "Yep."
C: "And then they're going to sew up the hole in your belly?"
Me: "Yep." (obviously I've elected to just answer his questions and not give him any more ammunition to ask further questions in this very delicate area - haha!)
C: "They can sew up your skin and everything?"
Me: "Yep."
C: "Oh."
C: "Can I have some goldfish?"
Me (thinking to myself): "You can have anything you want as long as we're done with this line of questioning!!"

Yeah. So that was interesting. Great timing on walking out that door, Sis!!

No comments: