Friday, April 11, 2008

Just a little detour

Okay. So my last post mentioned my small victory that was quickly forgotten as we looked towards the next week. Seems next week was a little too optimistic - ha. My charge from Dr. G (specialist) was to keep doing what I was doing and to pay attention to any changes in how I felt.

On Wednesday I started having lower back pain that definitely wasn't present before. Could it be how I'm sitting? Surely the 8 pillows I have around me are providing enough support. So I decided to call my regular OB just to have someone tell me it's okay. Imagine my surprise....I was expecting "Just watch it" and I actually get "Why don't you come in tomorrow just so we can check you and make sure nothing's going on." Did I just hear that?

We go Thursday to the OB.....she's running behind and they fit me in (which she hates, and I understand) so we were in her office for about an hour before we were seen. She did an u/s and, much to my disappointment, there had been a fairly large change. We're talking millimeters, here, but when you're only starting with 2.8 centimeters, every mm counts. That was quite upsetting to me. (I must tell you - I didn't sleep well at all on Wednesday night so I was tired and on my way to mental exhaustion as well) So OB wanted to send me over to the specialist to confirm the measurement, which was confirmed. We spent another 2 hours in his office since I was fit in, but also for him to decide what to do.

He first reassured us that babies weren't coming today, tomorrow or anytime soon. He's still optimistic that we can get to 34 weeks (11 weeks away this weekend) but we're going to be battling contractions along the way. Common in multiples. He told us he was teetering between putting me in the hospital for observation for a couple of days and starting a medication pump that will continuously administer meds throughout the day and night or sending me home with a prescription for a different medicine and I would continue monitoring. He asked our thoughts......I didn't know what to say. On the one hand, you want to stay out of the hospital as long as possible. On the other hand, is it worth the trade-off for some peace of mind to have people watch me continuously? We told him we would do whatever he would tell us and he said he was leaning towards the hospital.

So! Here I sit! He made the calls from his office and we left his office and drove over to St.F. By this time it was 4:30 and by 5:30 I was settled in a room looking over the dinner menu. I've never had to stay in the hospital's interesting. I'm connected to a monitor to watch for contractions and they come in every now and then and look at the results, take my bloodpressure and listen to the heartbeats with the doppler. Babies sound great. And go figure.....since I've been here, I've I had a few contractions, but less than I think we were all expecting. Dr. G will be by today to see me as well as my OB so we'll see what the next step is. It may be that I get to go home this evening or they may let me go home Saturday. I don't expect anything later than Saturday. Go figure everything would "calm down" when I'm under constant observation...........D said it's like when you take your car in for service and it never makes that noise you always hear - hahhahaha.

Speaking of D.........bless his heart - he was supposed to be leaving this morning for his golf weekend. I know he's not mad at me - I think I insult him when I apologize that he's not leaving because in his mind, there's no decision to be made. I told him he should pack his bags.......depending on what goes on today, I could be out tonight and he could be on his way. We shall see. I know it's out of my control and I know that, for him, our girls and I come first, but I hope he gets to go.

We were sitting in my room last night talking about the babies and I was telling him that A had actually changed position a little, based on where the nurse was able to hear her heartbeat. She's our more quiet one so I was surprised she would venture in to her sister's space. D looked at me and said "You know......they can hear us now. I think we should start calling them by their names instead of A and B." Our original plan was to wait to meet them. I told him I had sort of been leaning towards their names based on what we already know about their personalities, but I was still willing to wait to see them. He's changed his mind so we're now calling the babies by their names.........Baby A is Sofia and Baby B is Olivia. It's actually kind of cool to think of them with their names - it adds to their personalities that we're already learning.'s 7:30am and I'm still a little drowsy (my first experience with Ambien.......and I slept the whole night for the first time in months, thank you very much!)

Happy Friday and until next time.......

1 comment:

Cincerely said...

Glad you are being monitored and everything is still fine; hate that you are having to look at hospital menus though.

I shouldn't admit this, but I will. I've already been thinking of the girls by name - and I'm relieved that I got them right!

I miss seeing you and having daily conversations, but it's worth every ounce of change for all of the wonderful ways that your life has improved in the last 4 years!

I'm so happy for you, and of course, Daniel and the girls. Keep taking great care of yourself!