Friday, March 11, 2011

Tell me what you think........

Does this face........
look like it belongs to a sick baby? I didn't think so either! But alas.........our sweet baby girl has croup. I woke up early this morning to Bella coughing and I knew we needed to take her to the doctor. The only way I could describe it was that her cough sounded like she was......barking. I knew it couldn't be good, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what illness that kind of cough went with. So while I was driving to work, D was getting an appointment with the pediatrician this morning. And that's where the above picture was taken. At the doctor's office. And she's still happy!

Then I did remember. And I broke my very own rule for medical issues. I googled. And then I promptly had a mini freak-out. First my googling confirmed that I wasn't crazy when I thought our sweet little (um...well...big!) girl had been replaced by a barking seal, but they actually say that on the site I found. Then my googling informed me that croup was caused by a virus........and could possibly be RSV. That was all I needed to see to bring on the mini freak-out. I realize now that RSV is never good, but it doesn't have to be as severe as I assume it would be. I'm so sensitive to RSV because that's what we were warned about with the girls......that's what led us to keep the girls homebound until they were almost one.

Thankfully, while she does have croup, Bella doesn't have RSV. We have steroids for her and instructions on what to do if the coughing gets bad or if she has minor trouble breathing. And for all of that, Bella is still such a happy baby!!

Oh. Even better. It's contagious. And it would be best if we could keep her in a room separate from the big girls. And we can.....when they're all sleeping. Other than that......not so much!!

No comments: