Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yadda yadda yadda

We've all heard it. Never Say Never. Yadda yadda yadda, right? And yet we all still do it. Come on - you can admit it.

My sister and my sister-in-law both had kids before we did so I feel like I was close enough to the whole "baby thing" to recognize that it's almost impossible for someone who doesn't have kids to "never say never" about times when you will have kids. And for the most part, I didn't really do that. And I'm glad. Because, by now, I would have eaten every one of my words.

"Oh I'll never let my infant try Dr. Pepper. Or sweet tea. You know - until they're older."

"I'll never let my infant (the one eats only pureed baby food) try the icing off my cake."

"I definitely won't ever let my child play with the remote control. Even if she screams when I take it away from her."

You get my point. And of course, I've definitely done all the above. I did, however, dare to place my toes in the sand to draw that line on 2 things that I can think of. You know - because I just knew how it would be. Yadda yadda yadda, right?!?!

D and I both always said "You'll never see us putting food directly on the table at a restaurant. That's just gross." And I'll give it to D - to this day, he still tries his best to use the cute little place mats we bought, or (gasp) a plate. A one-year old and a plate. Can you guess where the food ends up?! But I do remember the exact day when we were sitting in a restaurant without the cute little place mats for the girls and 2 sweet little faces watching us eat and then demanding something for themselves. I happily sat back and ate my dinner (and my words) while "my kid" (aka the one closest to me for whom I was responsible during dinner) happily ate the Cheerios I placed directly on the table (after a good wipe-down, of course). Oh - and I enjoyed the comedy routine where D spent most of his meal trying to figure out how to get "his kid" to leave the napkin (or the plate, or whatever else he put down in front of her) alone and just eat the Cheerios. And cut his chicken with one hand.

The other "never" is way more trivial, and quite humorous to me. I remember working with a co-worker several years ago and we were in a conference room at a client. He was singing quietly to himself, but after a while I picked up on the tune. "Um...are you singing 'The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round'!!!!!!!!!!!" I gave him a hard time about that - had quite a laugh - and then made a mental note. I know I'll never do that!!!!

Fast forward several years and 2 babies later. I'm in the shower this morning and, while I'm not singing, I'm humming. Wait a minute. No. Am I really humming "Itsy bitsy spider........."

No comments: