Friday, May 16, 2008

I always speak too soon

So............the last 24 hours have been a bit of a roller coaster. Contractions started yesterday evening and I was on the monitor for several hours when the nurse came in around 2am and told me they were putting me on magnesium. I was having more than 6 an hour and as many as 16. Finally around 3am, 2 nurses are in the room, all lights are on and they're attempting to start an IV. Between them and the IV team nurse (I never knew there was such a thing as an IV team), third time was a charm. Everything was finally done around 4am but I could barely sleep.

I'm handling the mag better than I thought I would. Being hot is the worst part.........I have ice packs to help keep me cool. Oh and my arm with the IV hurts more than the contractions. How ironic is that. I'm still having many contractions - anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes apart. As of this morning I had not dilated and we're praying these contractions aren't causing any changes. Only time will tell. The plan is to be on the mag for approx 48 hours and then re-start the other meds. Indocin worked really well so hopefully we can make it through the waiting period and can take it again. I also can't get out of bed at all -- quite the bummer.

The good news is that the babies look excellent. They have me on the fetal monitor as well as the contraction monitor and they're both strong. Today we heard both of them have hiccups for the first time. Olivia this morning and Sofia just a while ago. I've also started another round of steroids.

We're anxious and trying our best to stay positive. I am so thankful we've made it to 28 weeks and hope we can get a few more weeks with them. We'll keep you posted.

No comments: