Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sweet AND Sassy

Everyone asks us how the girls have done with their new little sister. To be honest, I don't think we had set expectations for how they would be but we've definitely heard stories from others who have brought a new baby home to an older sibling. If anything, we expected them to not have such a strong reaction because they already have to share our attention with eachother and they have eachother to play with so it's not like that is changing.

Despite not having too many expectations, we've definitely been pleasantly surprised at how well they've done with Isabella. The first week we were home we spent a lot of time trying to get them to leave Isabella alone so they wouldn't pass on their colds to her, but now that they're better, we're definitely encouraging them to spend time with her. Olivia, most of the time, seems indifferent although she definitely notices when Bella cries. Sofia, however, is so sweet with Isabella it makes me smile to watch her. She wants to hold her and she's always asking for her. "Lemme hold my baby!" Although she did get mad at me the other day because I was carrying Bella down the stairs and she refused to come down the stairs because she wanted to carry Bella. Mmm hmm -- try reasoning that one with a 2-year old!!!

See the sweet........


As for the sassy part..........both girls have definitely gotten more opinionated...and are not afraid to voice their opinion. I can't remember if I posted this before (I realize I could go back and read to see if I have....but it's worth telling again), but here's an example of a little sass.......
We were at D's mom's restaurant for lunch one day PB (that's pre-Bella - haha!) and the girls had cheeseburgers and chips. (GASP....chips. I can't believe I actually sit and watch the girls eat chips. Dad....if you're reading this.....we make sure they don't get chips when it's even remotely possible you'll be coming over - haha!). They had been snacking all morning and although a cheeseburger isn't the healthiest, I wanted them to eat that versus filling up on chips. So I say to Sofia.......
"Sofia -- how about you eat some of your cheeseburger."
Without skipping a beat, Sofia replies "How 'bout I eat moe chips!" and continues to chomp away.
It was one of those moments where you know you shouldn't laugh but you can't help it. That's their new "thing" -- whenever we say something to them, we get "How about........" to offer up another option.
"How about we have some lunch"
"How about we play toys!"

Ah. Toddlers!

No comments: