Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Daddy!

Happy Father's Day to the best Daddy I could ever want for my girls......and the best husband I could ever want for me!

We've had a fun and relaxing weekend and, of course, it went by way too fast. D worked on Saturday and Grandma came over and hung out with me and the girls. I don't know exactly when it happened, but I think we can officially say that Sofia is mobile. She's perfected her "army crawling" and that kid can move! It was like one night she had that unique way she had figured out to get from here to there....and the next night she was doing the army thing. It hit me today that this may just be her crawl until she moves on to walking. Either way, she's all over the place. Her new favorite toy is this:

What a great age-appropriate toy, right?!?! As you can imagine, the word "No" has made it to the top of our vocabulary list this weekend. "Sofia - no, no." or "No no no." or "Sofia - no ma'am". We like to mix it up to keep it fun. Ha. We've also learned that we need to master the art of discipline when you really want to bust out laughing. Sometimes as we're telling Sofia "No no" she's looking at us and shaking her head "No", yet reaching for the buttons on the surround sound. Even funnier is Olivia sitting and watching Sofia and vigorously shaking her head "no" as either D or I are talking to Sofia.

Sofia is also quick to get to Olivia when Olivia has something Sofia wants (which is usually any time Olivia has anything in her hand!). This morning I put them on opposite sides of the blanket while I was making breakfast for D and when I looked up, this is what I found.

Both girls are doing all kinds of new things. It's amazing to me how it just.....happens. All of a sudden we realize that Olivia is clapping. Or Sofia comfortably goes from sitting to her belly. Both girls are now playing "peek-a-boo", whether it be with a blanket or their hands......but playing with their hands is so funny. When Sofia plays "peek-a-boo" with her hands, she plays by covering her ears. How funny is that? Sometimes she misses her ears and ends up with both hands in the air behind her head and a big grin on her face. Hilarious. I'm not sure how Olivia picked it up -- probably from the reaction Sofia received -- but she also covers her ears to play "peek-a-boo" with her hands. Both girls are also rolling a ball. We have one of those 99-cent balls you can get at the grocery store and we were playing with them Saturday night and both girls can get their hands on it when it comes to them, they'll hit it with each of their hands, and then they deliberately push it back. I couldn't believe it when I first saw Olivia do that! She and I rolled the ball for quite a while and then D and Sofia got in the game as well. I felt like it was our first time really playing together.

We had another first this weekend.......the first of many, I'm sure, but we had our first sibling-induced injury (we think....since we didn't actually see it happen....again - another first of many, I'm sure):


You may not be able to tell very clearly, but under Sofia's eye she has a bruise -- in this picture, actually, it sort of looks like the number one. We have this really neat toy that's a house and has all kinds activities for the girls to play and I like to sit the girls on either side with their own things to do. They were playing on Saturday when Sofia started crying. It was one of those cries where you knew something had happened. She had gone from sitting to her tummy and I thought she may have lost her balance, but I picked her up and she was fine. It wasn't until later when I noticed a bruise had formed under her eye. Mom and I think she either did fall and hit something on her way down, or she had already been on her belly and Olivia swung the door of that house and hit her. I'm really thinking the latter, but we'll never know for sure. Poor kid. I was so self conscious being out on Saturday with a kid sporting a bruise under her eye.

However -- they did make up and start bonding over one of the door stoppers in the kitchen. Sofia had made her way over there and, although I'm usually good at letting Olivia sit back and watch her sister so she starts getting motivated to move, I was feeling bad for her sitting in the living room so I moved her to where Sofia was. They would have played with this doorstop for hours if I had let them!


Yes - the little ones were quite entertaining this weekend! I was hoping to introduce them to the kiddie pool we bought, but both girls have had runny noses so, although it's been a thousand degrees outside, I decided it was better to wait until they were better. That'll give us something to do next weekend......or the week after when I'm on vacation.
Yes! Vacation! D is working at the family restaurant while his parents go on vacation so I'll be home with the girls. I'm really looking forward to that!
That's about all for now. The girls are sound asleep and I believe D is sleeping as well. I'm off to catch up on my book!

No comments: