Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Twin Thing

We've been home with our girls for 2 weeks now and I must say.........this twin thing is pretty cool. Not a day goes by that I'm not in awe of the fact that we have 2 babies. Holy cow! We won't mention double the diapers.......learning how to feed 2 babies at once when it's just one of us....... learning how to do anything when it's just one of us...and my heavens the endless bottles......................................

(Not that it matters, but just so you know that I've not completely lost my mind....we don't usually store all the bottles (this is 2 1/2 days worth) on our counter. D put them there when he removed them from the dishwasher and the sight was mindblowing to me so I had to snap a picture as a reminder down the road!)

But! It's been interesting so far. We've started taking the girls for a walk around the neighborhood in the evening, when it's not too hot, and already we've met more people the past few days than we have in the 2 years we've lived here. People actually get up from their front porch to come and talk to us when they see the double stroller -- very cool!! (I do like the netting we have over their carriers....protects from bugs AND stray hands!!)

What I can't wait for is to see how the girls grow up with eachother. They already do so many things that are alike.......facial expressions, random noises, their body language - it'll be neat to see how they grow as individuals and as twins. Lots of fun times ahead!! (Totally ignoring the chaos that's also ahead!!). Here's a picture of the girls - I laid them down for some belly time and when they stopped squirming, this is how they ended up......go figure, right?!?!

Until next time!

PS - Okay.....so it's cute to dress them alike. I was absolutely against it when we first knew they were coming and they were girls.......but I also said that about pink, too, and now I can't get away from it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! I was completely against dressing my kids alike too. I was determined to treat them like individuals, blah blah blah.

Fast forward 3 years, and all 4 of my kids are coordinated almost all the time. Reality has caught up with me. It's just easier in general for me to dress them the same.
- if we are somewhere where they are loose (like the playground), it is so much easier to keep your eyes on 4 mobile kids when you are looking for all of one outfit or color
- it's easier to see if something didn't make it into the laundry
- easier to select clothing - it is all hanging in groups in the closet & I just grab one set of 4
- eliminates fights over who is wearing what
- heaven forbid the day that I lose a child (which you know is bound to happen at some point), I will not have to rack my brain about what they were wearing. I will just hold up another kid and say "she was dressed just like this". Even if it is James that gets lost, it will be much easier to remember what he had on since he is generally coordinated.
- easier to shop - I only need to find a few outfits that I like rather than a few per kid x 4 kids

I'll quit when they start complaining about it. But for now, it's just too convenient since they don't care!